Saturday, May 19, 2012


Well Remembered
Rest in Peace Son

There in that special corner of a mother’s heart, hidden in the shadows where no one else is allowed to dwell.
I find you there…always son.
This is the place; where all my most important memories stand side by side like soldiers on parade!
It is that special corner of my heart owned by my child and no other.
The memories are tucked neatly away to be brought forward on special occasions, not that I ever expected it to be an occasion like today.
In there I find the sweet ones; like frosting faces and mud pie messes.
They stand there side by side, rubbing shoulders with the tough ones that hurt your heart and make you cry as you remember.

Each of those stands quietly alongside the ones that fill your heart for a lifetime.
It’s where I know with certainty I can always find you.
Maybe it was in a look well remembered on that face I love so much; thinking back there are so many.
Or maybe one of your smiles that touched my heart like no other.
It may have been in a word or a phrase, turned by you that amazed me so; at the time because it was uttered by that one undeniably special human being; you my son.
I cherish each of them.
You touched my heart like no one else in this world because you were a part of us.
You were a wonderful part of our love that never needed to be explained!

Standing here in the kitchen grief stricken and lost;
I wonder how; how do you say good-bye to your son?
As parents we understand that alongside the mad and the glad and the hopes and the fears we all face; we can only hope for the best.
Like all parents we all rode the rollercoaster of love sometimes sprinkled with disappointment and raised voices that were meant to help not to harm.
We didn’t get a play book.
There weren’t instructions wrapped in blue.
 We could only love you but you knew that….

When you push past the he said; she said and the, this and that of life…
It bumps face first into the reality of “I love you” with every ounce of my being…..
Your father and I brought you into this world we would die for you…
The words and the sentiment seem hollow now as they echo down empty hallways because we’re standing here now without you.
Neither of us is able to understand how that can be!

Inside my head I’m screaming take me, take me, take me…..
Inside myself, I’m shaking, screaming, crying, aching…. And so it goes.
The disbelief, the numbness drenched in sadness and recrimination.
Tears slide slowly down; I am incapable of stopping them.
And then just like that I see your face and that Easter basket all pastel and aglow.
Hunting Easter eggs as we looked on….
It all comes flashing back in an instant there we are watching our rosy cheeked little boy!
Those days are long past now but not forgotten by either of us.
I know we must cling tightly to them every single one of them and to the love…
If I don’t know anything else at this awful moment I know that the love above all else is what counts.

There in that special corner of a mother’s heart, hidden in the shadows where no one else is allowed to dwell.
I find you there…always son.
This is the place; where all my most important memories stand side by side like soldiers on parade!
It is that special corner of my heart owned by my child and no other.
The memories are neatly tucked away to be brought forward on special occasions, not that I ever expected it to be an occasion like today.
In there I find the sweet ones; like your first word, first step, first bike ride and your first day of school.
They stand side by side rubbing shoulders with the tough ones that hurt your heart and make you cry as you remember.

.
Rest in Peace,
James O’ Neill
Rest in Peace

For Pat and Bonnie with much love and a heavy heart,
By,
D.A. Hughes
05/12/12