Friday, August 7, 2009

In Loving Memory

Raymond (Bubba) Leiser
January 25th, 1943 to September 27th, 2006


Ashes to ashes dust to dust.
Rolling down the last highway, blowing in the wind
Free now to whisper on each new breeze, always in the wind
There will never be a highway I ride, when you won’t cross my heart or mind.

I have tried writing this many times now, however today I know I must find the words to write you.
Where should I start Ray? How do I put into words thirty years of memories? What should I say? You weren’t perfect you didn’t live a grand life nor did you do grand deeds. You were however my very best friend. You were the person I could always confide in. You never judged me and were always there for me. You’ve stood up for me, fought for me and tried to protect me, sometimes from myself. So to me you lived a grand life and to me you did amazing deeds.

You were very much your own person. You called your own shot's right or wrong good or bad and you were both. You were stubborn to the bone. You made your share of mistakes and paid dearly for them. You told by far, the greatest stories ever. I could sit an listen to you weave those tales for hours. They always became greater with each telling and I will forever miss that.

It was difficult figuring out exactly what I should say today, you were no saint. So I wondered should I talk about that time, in that bar, with that guy that made you so mad. No, I guess not because that would only be funny to us. Maybe I should talk about how stiff you were in that all black blues club you were not a happy camper, but again that would only be funny to me. Because you weren’t laughing! Should I mention how you loved to sing Karaoke, yet you always made us force you to get up. You really sounded good; you loved singing that nineteen-fifty’s do-wop stuff. There were only a handful of us that knew you’re secret over the top love of Disco music. Your secret is out now; everyone knows you were a closet Donna Summer fan! Good thing you’re not here because you’d throttle me for telling.

Through the years you always checked in. There were times you made your life so hard, hurt your self and messed things up, it was hard to watch. Although being the man you were you never denied it and I was so proud of you when you finally faced your demons. I know how hard that was for you. After rehab you looked me in the eye and said “that is over forever” and you stayed true to your word. You were a better man, kinder, well most of the time, softer and stronger too. I admired your strength. I know too how hard it was the day you got out starting over with absolutely nothing.

You came a long way leaving that past behind. You smiled more laughed louder and more often. Explaining that you were comfortable now and life felt right. Riding your bike made you happy, it was then when you seemed most at peace. I was sorry when you stopped riding, I know you missed it. We sure missed you being with us.

I can’t count the miles we road together over the years. I know some of the guys never really understood when you introduced me as your best friend. I admired the fact that you never cared what anyone thought and neither did I. Fortunately, the people the closest to us understood friendships like ours are few and far between. I was so fortunate to have had you in my life.

I remember all the times you had to drop out of the pack because I had fallen asleep; I remember how that always cracked you up. I just trusted you and always felt safe, but you knew that! One of my favorite things was seeing the reaction of other bikers at a bar or at a party; some seemed so shocked watching you dance all the girls’ feet off. “Real biker’s dance” you’d bellow at the top of your lungs to no one in particular. Not caring in the least what anyone thought. I loved that about you too. You will remain forever my all time favorite dance partner. No you certainly didn’t fit into any traditional mold, always dancing to your own beat.

As I think back I remember how excited you were when you bought your mobile home in Chatsworth. You were so proud and all of us were so happy for you. Having a place all your own in those later years had become so important to you. I’m certain it was because of the years spent sleeping in your van or on everyone’s couch or renting a room that never worked out. You stood taller when the Realtor handed you that key! Man we had some good times at your place great laughs.

Remember when the skunk sprayed Missy in the middle of the night and I thought the house was on fire because the smell was so over powering? Then Cameron buried his face into Missy’s fur sniffing her. Wow, did he make a horrific face. I thought you were going to wet yourself you were laughing so hard. God that was funny!

The other day, I was standing on the wild side of the property. The wind was howling as it raced through the open spaces. It was the woeful sound of my heart breaking, the tears rained down, damn I miss you. You had been so many things in my life. From my beat friend to my surrogate Dad, it’s hard to let go of that. The dogs were running around as the sunset played out bright orange and red. I thought of all the sunsets we had seen. I thought about you and how much I miss you. That selfishly I was unprepared and unwilling to let you go. In fact as I sorted and packed up your treasures I found that I was actually mad at you. I feel guilty for those feelings, but damn it, you promised me a very long time ago, that you would bounce my grand kids on your knee and now I know that won’t happen.

If you were right you are with your Mom, Brother, Sister, Buddy and Dino. Just know my friend that you are truly missed. I will always tip my glass to you out of love and respect. You asked me to make sure you and Buddy would always be together I did as you asked. God, that dog loved you and I know how much you loved him. Today I am keeping the promises I made to you. I have ridden you here to this place on a Harley as you asked and here I will spread your ashes to the wind. Here is also where I will say I love you and good-bye dear friend.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust.
Rolling down the last highway blowing in the wind
Free now to whisper on each new breeze.
Forever in the wind!
With Love,



Six Shooter Sally
10/06