Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Long Good bye

For Al Iside

I’ve changed the sheets and emptied the drawers
I’ve removed the pictures from the fancy frames that were once placed there so lovingly
I laundered the pillows so your scent is no longer present
I have given away or sold the nick knacks that once seemed so important
Those cards I kept all the years that touched my heart went off in the last bag of trash
The words are no longer true or meaningful
I did keep the last note written in your hand so I would always remember

Like an eraser on a black board you now have been erased in the here and now
Little things little signs that spoke volumes about your sadness were ignored
The illness was everything all consuming devouring you taking you away little by little
Now your gone, erased just like that with a note and a deed most unbecoming
No time for a long good-bye

I always knew that one day I would write this
I knew it would fall to me to write your eulogy
We both knew that one day your turn would come
Although nothing ever happens as one might expect
It is with great sadness and regret that I write about your life; the one I believed was true
Turned into ash; along with you and all I knew about you
Like fairy tales where princes ride white horses; the truth is it is only make believe

Today I changed the sheets and emptied out all the drawers
I carefully removed your pictures from the fancy frames they’d been displayed in
I laundered your pillows so I didn’t have to smell you there
I gave away and sold the nick knacks because they are no longer important
All those funny silly loving cards I cherished were tossed away; worthless now
Their words like all the words ever said became heavily tarnished
Ah but I kept that last note to remind me who you really were

After all the years, the blood, sweat and tears that bind and mark a long relationship
Only to discover in the end that you are no longer here
Leaving me to wonder if you really ever were
The you; that person I thought I knew so well and trusted
In the end turned out to be nothing more than words; made up words
I now see that maybe the words were about you, that you, the one you longed to be but never quite attained
Although now I’ll never know.

It cuts deep that forever kind that is buried with you and the we that once was.
This is my long good-bye
Not the words I thought I’d write at the end of you

08/08/1959 To 04/02/2011

By, Six Shooter Sally
A Friend of a friend