Monday, September 14, 2009

The Chairman of the Board Robert "Bob" Hammond

Good bye my friend, you are missed.
And I know for all of us here today, you will be long remembered.
Like all of us you were many things to many people.
Husband, father, grandfather, a dedicated company man, excellent co-worker and friend.

Bob was a gentle, quiet, caring man.
He earned the love, respect and friendship of many people.
I know most of you and for each of us that he touched he has left his mark forever.
I know that is so for me.
To some of us he was known as Mr. Hammond or Bob.
Yet for many of us he was known simply as Hammond, The Chairman of the Board.

I know we will each be reminded of him in many different ways.
For me it will be the roar of laughter inspired by a joke.
Short sleeved shirts with two pockets.
Or whenever I see a Navy fighter pilot takeoff or land on an aircraft carrier I will be reminded of him.
Yet most often I will be reminded by the fifth day of the week, Thursday. It was the day Bob made special.

Truly fine things in life are very rare,
Hammond will always come to mind as one of the truly finest people I have ever known.
For all the times we shared and laughed;
For all the encouragement and education you gave me I will forever be grateful.
My friend you are loved and missed.
I raise your gavel for you one last time and close this meeting for The Chairman of the Board.

With much love and respect I say Good Bye my friend.


08/16/88